Thursday, July 9, 2009

Trifle Spectacular




I love to bake: cookies,cakes, pies, brownies.... I think you get the idea. For Sunday dinner I'm the one they ask to make the dessert because they know how much I like to do it. A couple weeks ago I made this trifle. I have made it quite a few times but, I dressed it up a bit so of course I took a picture of it. I found this recipe out of my Cake Mix Bible a gift from my SIL. I thought I would share the recipe with you.




Trifle Spectacular


1 pkg. Duncan Hines moist deluxe Devil's Food cake mix


1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk


1 c cold water


1 pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla-flavored instant pudding and pie filling mix


2 c of whipping cream whipped


2 T orange juice


2 1/2 c fresh strawberries


1 pint fresh raspberries


2 kiwi, peeled and sliced


1 1/2 c of frozen whipped topping, thawed for garnish


mint leaves for garnish (optional)




1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 9 in. round cake pans.


2. Prepare, bake and cool cake following pkg. directions for basic recipe. Cut one cake layer into 1 inch cubes. Freeze remaining cake layer for another use.


3. Combine sweetened condensed milk and water in large bowl. Stir until blended. Add pudding mix. Beat until thoroughly blended. Chill 5 minutes. Fold whipped cream into pudding mixture.


4. To assemble, spread 2 c. pudding mixture into 3 quart trifle dish (or 3-quart clear glass bowl with straight sides) Arrange half the cake cubes over pudding mixture. Sprinkle with 1 T orange juice. Layer with 1 C. strawberry slices, half the raspberries and on-third of kiwi fruit slices. Repeat layers. Top with remaining pudding mixture. Garnish with whipped topping, remaining 1/2 c. strawberry slices, kiwi,and mint leaves if desired. Makes 10-12 servings




Hint: Since the different layers contribute to the beauty of this recipe, arrange the fruit pieces to show attractively along the sides of the trifle dish.

No comments: